Thursday, January 12, 2017

Sooo...About This Self-Care Thing!


Self-Care is one of those hot words now and I am pretty sure I am doing it all wrong! In my head self-care, is laying in the bed watching Netflix, Hulu, or my DVR and eating really bad food. I don’t think that’s what it means.

My brain is always on 1000 worrying about something or someone and my patience level stays at a negative 1000 and it is all mostly self-inflicted I really need to chill out.

Not saying 40 is old but as you get older you must do better with taking care of yourself before your body does it for you.

Yesterday everything annoyed me…I literally wanted to run away, change my name and never look back. Dramatic…I know LOL!

I never totally feel at peace…so, I decided to first look up what exactly is self-care.

 Self-care is care provided “for you, by you.” It's about identifying your own needs and taking steps to meet them. It is taking the time to do some of the activities that nurture you. Self-care is about taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others.


Then I looked up something’s…let me add cheap things because as much as I would love to get a massage every week or shoot every other week that does not work for my pockets.

Here are a few things I found and please feel free to add to my list:

·        Start a Compliment File-Document great things people say about you and read them later. This is where you all say great things about me so I can start my file…thanks in advance.

·        Unplug for an hour-turn off the phone.

·        Get down and dance and sing really loud- play some of my favorite songs and perform. In my house, of course because everyone does not need to see or hear all my greatness. Que me singing Teena Marie!

·        Check in with my emotions-Sit quietly and name what I am feeling without judgment. I am super emotional but I tend to judge myself at times because I don’t let Go and Let God so I really like this one.

·        A home Spa-I plan to purchase some soothing bubble baths, face mask etc. and have a home spa day.

·        Cooking-I have mentioned this before so it is still on my radar but I went to my parents last weekend so I’m living off yummy leftovers!

·        Start back reading- I use to read all the time but the last time I read a book was in August on vacation and before that I can’t even remember SMH!

·        Buying myself flowers really pretty ones that smell nice to brighten up my room.

·        Plan an extravagant vacation just for fun-I thought this was interesting I plan to do it and then put it on a vision board. I’m thinking Paris!

I don’t think these are over the top and I'm not sure if they all qualify as self-care but they all sound fun. Often, I over think things and make them to complicated and then I never accomplish them. So, I think these are basic things I can do.

Make sure to follow me on FB, IG, and Twitter because I will update you as these things happen!

Signed,

Almost 40 and trying to get my life  

No comments:

Post a Comment